Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?

Monday, February 16, 2009

Bedtime fun

Well, it finally happened. Aidan learned that she can climb out of her crib, adding a new dimension to bedtime. She won't stay in the big bed either. Here's how bed (and nap) time went this weekend:

Me: Aidan, it is time to go to your room to get ready for nap (bed).

Aidan: No.

Me: Yep. Come on. Its time. Do you want to read stories or sing?

Aidan: Goes to room and slams door in my face, blocking my entry with her body.

Me: Aidan, I'm going to count to 10 and then I'm going to come in.

Aidan: Goes and hides in the closet or behind the rocking chair while I'm counting.

Me: Aidan, I'm going to count to 5 and if you want to read stories, you come out of the closet. Otherwise, I'm going to pick you up and put you in your crib. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Aidan: Collaspes on floor of closet (or runs to closet if she's behind the chair).

Me: Pick up dead weight named Aidan and place her in the crib.

Aidan: Start screaming at top of her lungs and crying hysterically while attempting to climb out of crib.

Me: Blocking escape attempts physically and placing her back in her crib while say, "Aidan, you may not climb out of your crib. If you would like to sleep in the big bed, calm down and use your words. If you want to sleep in the big bed, you must cooperate.

Repeat for 20-40 minutes

Me: Would you like a hug?

Aidan: Nods head finally.

Me: Pick up Aidan and snuggle her. Get her calm but don't let her feet touch the ground. When calm, ask if she wants to sleep in the big bed or crib. Place her where she chooses.

Aidan: Changes her mind.

Me: You may change your mind one time. If you change it again, you may not move.

Aidan: Changes mind again or attempts to leave big bed and hide again.

Repeat previous cycle.

Aidan finally falls asleep while I'm snuggling her and she gets put to sleep wherever we had our last battle.

Aidan: Wakes up early, climbs out of crib or bed and comes padding into our room.

I don't know what the solution is. Leave her in her room until she falls asleep wherever and when ever she wants? Taking way things doesn't work. I took away things at naptime on Saturday (e.g., her starlight turtle) and she started handing me other things and told me to take everything. Shaming doesn't work. Firm tone doesn't work. Empathy works some, but she has to rage first and that's hard on both of us. Giving her the big bed right away doesn't work because she gets out to hide and it is harder to contain her in the big bed. I hope if we are consistent in our message, she will eventually stop the testing, but this is hard! Maybe a toddler bed with princess bedding...

No comments: