Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?

Monday, May 5, 2008

Do you need a time out?

We've been implementing time outs since Aidan was about 18 months. These are usually reserved for significant things like hitting or biting. But I've also been using them when Aidan runs away from me when we are outside and doesn't respond to my request to "Wait!" I think this deserves a time out because she is often running toward traffic or the parking lot. And I try to be really consistent with it.

So, this morning, we were headed to the car to go to school and Aidan decided she was going to run off through the backyard. Here's our conversation:

Mommy: "Oh-oh! Are you not listening to Mommy?"

Aidan: Stops to consider the question.

Mommy: "What happens when you don't listen to Mommy?"

Aidan: Appears to ponder this question.

Mommy: "Do you need a time out?"

Aidan: "Yeah." And walks over to sit on the back stairs, gathering her blankets and stuffed animal around her.

Mommy: "Okay. I'll tell you when time out is over."

She sat there almost the entire 90 seconds with only one reminder that she was in time out and a few tears. We then reviewed that she was in time out for not listening to mommy and running away from mommy while we are outside. Then off to the car we went.

It is amazing when it works. :-)

Hopefully we are on a learning roll.

Pictures soon, I promise.

1 comment:

Pambi said...

Consistency is the key!!! And.... CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)